Monday, April 28, 2008

Don Quixote

In my Spanish 2 classes we just finished watching the TNT version of Don Quixote. This is one of my favorite stories. An older gentleman from 16th century Spain gets so caught up in the imaginations he creates from the literary works he has compiled on knight erantry and the times of chivalry that he struggles to seperate reality from the world in his head. He recruits his neighbor and friend, Sancho Panza (who by the way is his opposite in everyway), to be his squire. They set out to find adventures, to set the world right of the wrongs commited by giants, villains and scoundrally magicians. He does all of this in the name of his fair lady, Dulcinea del Toboso, who is actually a common lady our Don sees hanging out the wash.

Along the way the pair find many trully great adventures. In fact as their story spreads, the adventures seem to find them. In the mean time, his neice and friends seek him out to bring him home for his own protection. In the end they do eventually succeed. Unfortunatly, this coming back to reality is what brings about the end of Don Quixote.

The movie is based on the novel by Miguel de Cervantes. The theme is what makes me love the book and the movie so much. Don Quixote, although well past his prime, is alive and full of spit and vinager because he, as he says, can still dream. The comforts of this world are not enough. He is not going to just sit back and accept what life gives him. He is going to go out and find his dreams. He is going to help the world be a better place simply because it is what he believes in. He is full of conviction and integrity. Although many people consider him to be a fool, he is happiest and the most alive when he is caught up in his dreams. And therefore, he is not afraid to dream.

I think all to often we are all too afraid to dream big. I know I have done that way to many times and I've let some opportunities slip by. On the other hand, I love my life now because of my dreams. I have a beautiful family that love and support me, even in all my craziness. I have a career that makes me look forward to getting up each day, most days at least! I get to help youg people to find ways to be a little better each day. Michelle and I are also about to achieve a goal we set when we first were married. We are about to move to Montana and get our start on our ranch. It is only 15 acres for now but that is a step towards were it will be in another 10 years.

So, keep on dreaming. Dream big! Don't let the world decide who you are or where you want to be. Get up and make your dreams your reality.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am so glad you dream big Rod. And I know that it is your positive attitude that makes your dreams come true!