Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More on Europe

While the whole trip was pretty incredible and the group we went with was amazing, I thought I would pick a place to write about each time. There were some of the sights and experiences that were once in a life time and some that will always be special memories for me. This picture is one of them. This is the prisoner's entrance into Dachau, the first concentration camp, the one the Nazi's used as a model for their many others. On the gate is phrase, which translates, "With hard work comes freedom." This was supposed to inspire the prisoners to work hard and stay in line so that they could earn their way out of the Hell which they where entering.
Joseph Smith once said that when a man of God enters an area where many people have lost their lives, he will know by the spirit. He will feel that he is on hallowed ground. While I have many things to work on, as we entered the camp, the feeling was so unique it is hard to describe. So many innocent lives lost and yet the people who lived in the town of Dachau (within walking distance of the camp) had no idea of the atrocities. So often as humans we turn a blind eye to those around us. We, I need to be more aware and try harder to be a better neighbor, friend, home teacher, citizen.
Anyway, the visit was an experience I will never forget. Here are a few more photos from the camp that Michelle took while we were there.







1 comment:

Laura said...

What a thing to experience. I am sure the feelings you felt there were overwhelming. What a wonderful reminder of our great lives.